- About Us
- When is Usdan's Summer 2017 Season and what is the tuition?
- What is the withdrawal and refund policy?
- What does my day consist of?
- What is a Major Interest?
- What is a Minor Interest?
- Do I have to audition?
- Is Usdan an overnight or a day camp?
- What is the difference between Junior Division and Senior Division?
- What is Partners in the Arts?
- Do students swim?
- What happens when it rains?
- Are scholarships available?
- Are there Counselors?
- Do I bring my lunch with me?
- Are there vending machines on campus?
- What helpful items should I bring or wear to camp?
- Can I bring my cell phone?
- What attire do I need for my class or concert?
- Are there sports?
- Usdan's 2017 Season dates and tuition rates will be announced in November. Below is the information from our 2016 season. 2017 dates and rates are subject to change.
- 7-week session: June 27, 2016 - August 12, 2016, weekdays (closed Monday, July 4)
- 4-week session: June 27, 2016 - July 22, 2016, weekdays (closed Monday, July 4)
- 3-week session A: June 27, 2016 - July 15, 2016, weekdays (closed Monday, July 4)
- 3-week session B: July 25, 2016 - August 12, 2016, weekdays
Usdan offers the 7-week, 3-week and 4-week sessions only at the dates specified.
- Tuition for 7 weeks: $4950-$5450 includes transportation and fees
- Tuition for 4 weeks: $3,950 includes transportation and fees
- Tuition for 3 weeks: $2,950 includes transportation and fees
(Please note: 3-week bus transportation is provided at central pick up points throughout the NY area.)
A. An applicant withdrawing:
1. On or before April 30, 2017 is charged: $100
2. From May 1 through July 1, 2017 is charged: $750
3. After July 1, 2017: No Refund
B. The date of withdrawal will be the date on which Usdan is notified.
C. Transfer from the 7-week program to the 4 or 3-week program is not available after April 30, 2017.
D. An applicant not accepted by Usdan will receive a complete refund of all fees paid.
back to top
- 10:00 - 11:55 Major Interest
- 12:05 - 12:25 Lunch
- 12:35 - 12:55 Assembly
- 1:10 - 2:00 Recreation Activity
- 2:15 - 3:05 Minor Interest
Please note that the schedule above is a senior division schedule. Junior division schedules place the major interest in the afternoon and swim and the minor interest in the morning. At 3:05, students depart.back to top
A major interest is the subject in which you have the greatest interest and desire to participate. Two periods a day are assigned to this activity. A pianist, for example, would choose piano as a major, a dancer would choose ballet and an art student might choose ceramics or painting.back to top
A minor interest is assigned to one period daily and is an opportunity for you to enjoy and experience another art form or recreation. We ask that each student choose 3 minor interests, but reserve the right to assign this activity. Please choose carefully for we may have to assign your third choice depending on availability.back to top
Usdan is interest-based. Most subjects do not require an audition. The only areas that require auditions are piano, Repertory Theater Company, jazz ensemble, and dance intensive. For audition information, please contact Usdan's New York office at (212) 772-6060.back to top
Usdan is a day camp. We do not offer overnight facilities for our students. All of our campers are brought to the camp by bus daily.back to top
Junior Division: students have completed 4th - 6th grades. Senior Division: students have completed 7th - 12th grades.back to top
Partners is a program designed for students who have completed the 2nd or 3rd grade. In this program, each student is paired with a Counselor in Training who assists the student in getting from one class to another, making friends and getting the most out of their Usdan experience.back to top
Students may choose swim as a recreational activity for 1 period a day in Usdan's olympic size swimming pools.back to top
Usdan is open every day, regardless of weather conditions. We recommend that all students carry an umbrella, rain jacket, or poncho with them in case the weather becomes rainy. During swim or recreational periods, students report to the movie house. All other classes continue as usual. Students will be held in their classes if there is thunder or lightning.back to top
Usdan offers two different types of aid:
Scholarships for merit: Based on talent and ability, these scholarships are offered for high school age students wishing to major in Orchestra, Band, Chorus or Jazz Ensemble. These scholarships are highly selective and granted after an audition before a panel of experienced artists.
Tuition Assistance: Based on family need, a limited amount of Tuition Assistance is granted through TADS.
For information regarding either of these programs, view our Tuition Assistance page or please contact Usdan's New York office at (212) 772-6060. 2017 Scholarship opportunities for the 2017 season will be available in November.back to top
The Discovery Program (designed for students who have completed, Pre-K, Kindergarten or first grade) has counselors, while the Partners in the Arts program (for students who have completed 2nd or 3rd grade) features CITs (Counselors in Training). As students progress into the Junior and Senior Divisions, they gain more independence and walk to their classes on their own, supervised by staff members across campus.back to top
Each student is required to bring lunch. We suggest that you pack it in an insulated bag with a freezer pack to protect it. An ice cream snack is provided to all students at the end of the day. If your child needs lactose- or gluten-free frozen treats instead of ice cream, they can pick them up at the Health Office. Please provide an additional snack if your child is attending Aftercare. Discovery students are also required to provide their own snack.back to top
To encourage the sustainability of Usdan's campus, there are no vending machines available. Students are advised to bring their own reusable water bottle. Water filling stations are located throughout the camp for student use. Reusable water bottles are available for purchase in the administration building and cups are also available.back to top
- Reusable water bottle
- Swimsuit and towel (If you are taking Swimming or have Aftercare)
- Smock (If you are taking non-digital Art classes)
- Instrument (If you are taking instrumental music classes)
- Dance attire (See the following section for more details.)
- Camera (if you are taking Photography)
- Mobile device (If you are taking a Mobile Photo Class or Dance Lab)
- Sneakers or walking shoes (No flip-flops or sandals)
- Snack (For Discovery and Aftercare)
- Mosquito spray
- Umbrella, poncho, or raincoat
Usdan believes that mobile devices such as phones and tablets can be incredible tools for creativity. We even offer classes in social media and mobile photography. But Usdan is also a place to disconnect from the frenzy of technology for a summer of discovery amidst the camp’s natural beauty. Students are permitted to use mobile devices on the bus, during passing periods, and during lunch. Students are not allowed to use mobile devices during class or in the amphitheater during a performance.back to top
- Usdan encourages students to choose for themselves whichever attire they feel most comfortably expresses their gender identity.
- Art: A smock or old shirt to protect clothes.
- Music: For concerts, musicians are required to have a white shirt or blouse, black pants or long black skirt, and black dress shoes.
- Yoga: Comfortable clothing that is easy to move in, preferably without buttons and zippers. Bring a yoga mat marked with your name. Students can leave mats for the entirety of the session.
- All Dance Classes (unless otherwise specified):
Girls - Black tops, form fitting black bottoms (shorts, leggings, or tights), and jazz shoes
Boys - White or black shirt, black shorts, and jazz shoes.
- Ballet:Long hair must be neatly secured in a bun.
Girls - Black leotard, pink tights, and pink ballet slippers.
Boys - White shirt, black tights, and black ballet slippers.
- Hip Hop: Solid-color t-shirt (no labels or branding), solid-color shorts or pants, and indoor sneakers or jazz shoes.
- Moving and Making with Pilobolus: Please bring long sleeved solid-color shirt and long, solid-color, non-pocket pants (no labels or branding).
Girls - Black tops, and form fitting black bottoms (shorts, leggings, or tights). No shoes are required.
Boys - White or black shirt, and black shorts. No shoes are required.
- Tap Dance:
Girls - Black tops, form fitting black bottoms (shorts, leggings, or tights), and black tap shoes.
Boys - White or black shirt, black shorts, and black tap shoes.
- Usdan Dance Ensemble: Ballet attire, as well as black tops and bottoms, and both ballet and jazz shoes.
While Usdan is an arts camp, we do offer one period of recreational activities every day and the opportunity to take tennis, yoga, archery, swim or games, hoops and nets (light sports such as badminton, or volleyball for example) as well.back to top